Welcome to Third Grade
Hello and welcome to third grade at SJNCS! I am looking forward to getting to know you and your child this year! Your children are a blessing to me, and I feel so grateful for teaching in a wonderful faith-based school such as Saint John Neumann Catholic School.
Meet Mrs. Varner
Jo Varner has been married to her high school sweetheart, Reese, for 26 years. They have two children, Hayden and McKenna, who both attended SJNCS and Knoxville Catholic High. They also have a dog, Scooter, two cats Mimi & Buster, and two guinea pigs, Charlie & Clyde, that live in her classroom during the school year.
When Mrs. Varner’s children were young, she taught faith development classes for first and second graders at All Saints. She then went on to teach preschool for five years and often filled in as a substitute at SJNCS. During her time subbing, she realized she wanted to return to school for a teaching certification so that she could have her own classroom.
This is Mrs. Varner’s tenth year teaching at SJNCS (third/fourth grades), and she says she has absolutely loved every year! She added, “St. John Neumann is a wonderful faith-based community, and I couldn’t ask for better children, parents, and staff to work with.”
What We're Learning This Year
- It is important that students know their addition and subtraction facts coming into the third grade. Typically, students should have instant recall of addition and subtraction facts by the end of Grade 2 and multiplication facts through the tens by the end of Grade 3.
- Students will have homework in math most nights. Math homework mostly consists of worksheets, workbook pages, and/or practicing math facts.
- I try to not assign homework on the weekends so students can get recharged for the upcoming week, but sometimes homework may be inevitable due to certain circumstances.
- We will cover the reading curriculum using our basal reading textbook and several novels.
- When reading a novel as a class, frequent quizzes will be given over material read in class, as well as material assigned for homework. Reading levels vary from child to child, so please feel free to read with your child if you feel he/she needs it…and reading with your child is a wonderful way to spend time together! 🙂
- Quarterly book reports are assigned in third grade. Book genres and formats will vary.
- Six AR points per quarter are required for each student. AR tests are taken at school during school hours, and students will have a rotating schedule posted in the classroom for assigned computer days. They are welcome to take AR tests on days that are not assigned to them as well.
- Spelling pretests will be given on Mondays unless specified. Any student receiving a 100% on the pretest will be exempt from Friday’s test. The test on Friday includes the 16 words in the Reader’s Notebook and one bonus word.
- One or two spelling pages from the Reader’s Notebook will be assigned on Mondays and is due on the test day (usually Fridays).
- Our English curriculum is covered using English textbooks and also the Reader’s Notebook (workbook format). The Reader’s Notebook incorporates reading, English, spelling, and writing.
- Scientific method, and life, earth, and physical science will be taught in third grade.
- In addition to lesson/chapter tests, students will receive grades for packet assignments, science notebooks/folders, and lab sessions. Extra credit will be given each quarter for students who take non-required notes in their notebooks.
- Our social studies curriculum will be covered using both a textbook series and a magazine series. The magazine series will be available online in several weeks
- Religion textbooks and Bibles will be used to teach about our Catholic faith.
Friday Folders come home each Friday. please check and clean out your child’s Friday Folder each week.
If you have additional questions, please feel free to complete the form below.
- Spanish 9:15-9:55
- Library 1:00-1:40
- Mass – K-4th grade
- PE – 1:00-1:40
- Music 1:25-2:05
- Art 2:10-2:50
- Mass – K-8th grade
- Spanish 10:25 – 11:05
- PE 1:00 – 1:40
- Technology – 1:00-1:40